Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Candy Making 2014

My mom and I make candy every year for Christmas. My sister-in-law joins us on most years, but had finals to study for this year. The day was long and I went to bed tired but I had the most fun with my mom. My mom is super woman and is the most giving person I know. She has had a tough year with her health and I know that candy making all day was tough on her, but she never complained and we had the best time. We always have to have LOTS of Dr. Pepper on candy making days and this year we had a very active, sweet four year old helper. He unwrapped all the Rolo's for our pretzel turtles. We made several different kinds of candy. We sorta went overboard this year because it's Corbin's senior year and next year he will be at college---I know he will be home to visit but this is the last Christmas that my baby is under my roof every day and not in a dorm room. I was telling a friend of mine that we spent all day Sunday making candy and her comment was "You are crazy, I would never do that". I thought to myself, maybe baking all day is crazy but seeing my boys eyes light up when I told them I had made their favorite candy is priceless. I know that I will not have my mom forever but the memory of baking and laughing, sharing Dr. Pepper, and dancing to music in my kitchen will warm my heart for a lifetime. The laughter of my mom picking up my 4 year old son and twirling around in the kitchen to the music is a priceless moment. My mom and I have so many Christmas memories from our candy making days. I intend to keep this tradition alive as long as I am able and include my sons, daughters-in-law, and grandchildren someday. I hope they fall in love with Christmas Candy Making Day as much as I have.

Our candy list for 2014: potato candy (my Grandma Kell made this every year and Christmas just wouldn't be the same for our family without it), rolo turtles, Oreo truffles, chocolate truffles, peanut butter balls, crockpot candy (2 batches..it's a big hit with our boys),trash (Trent calls it junk), date nut balls, pecan tassies, peppermint fudge, and regular fudge, and chocolate covered pretzels.

The cutest little helper I've ever seen.
He worked very hard unwrapping all the Rolos.

No comments: